Paul Hick is an experienced construction lawyer & commercial litigator who specialises in advising and representing clients operating in the construction industry servicing domestic, commercial, civil and mining fields.
Paul’s legal skills and qualifications are enhanced by his years of hands on experience in the construction and mining industries. He has a long history in the building and construction industry, from trade apprenticeship to carpenter, supervisor, construction manager, estimator, designer, builder, supplier and consultant before qualifying as a solicitor, adjudicator under security of payment legislation in Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia & the ACT and arbitrator.
In his more than 35 years in the construction industry Paul has gained wide experience in mining, construction and project management, contract administration, estimating & procurement, logistics and civil, commercial & domestic construction and in providing practical consultation and legal advice and representation to his clients. From principals and developers to head contractors, subcontractors, professional services providers and suppliers, Paul understands your language and your objectives.
Paul has extensive experience in:
- construction contract negotiation & drafting including adaptation and amendment to most standard forms including AS, ABIC, PC, HIA, MBA, FIDIC, GC21 and drafting of project specific bespoke contracts;
- Government and private sector projects, joint ventures, alliance and partnering arrangements;
- Commercial litigation and dispute resolution including litigation in State and Federal Courts and Tribunals, arbitration, mediation, expert determination and adjudication under security of payment legislation.
One of Paul’s greatest strengths is his ability to quickly gain an understanding of the facts and circumstances affecting a client and then find the most efficient strategy to achieve the client’s objectives. Paul adopts a collaborative approach to work with his clients to ensure the service they receive evolves to best meet their changing needs and the relevant circumstances.
In addition to providing his services as a construction lawyer in the traditional sense, Paul is often available for in-house secondment to assist on large projects or training and preparation of contract administration staff, as well as for appointment to Dispute Resolution Boards and Steering Committees for large projects.
A specialised construction lawyer experienced in:
- tender preparation and negotiation;
- understanding and negotiation of contracts/subcontracts;
- contract drafting and negotiation;
- contract advice;
- litigation in State and Federal Courts as well as QCAT;
- other dispute resolution such as arbitration, mediation and expert determination; and
- preparation of payment claims, adjudication applications, payment schedules and adjudication responses under security of payment legislation.
- Queensland Law Society
- Building Dispute Practitioners Society
- Resolution Institute
- Bachelor of Laws
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland
- Solicitor of the High Court of Australia
- Queensland Law Society unrestricted principal practising certificate
- Certificate in Adjudication – QLS
- Senior Adjudicator – QLD BCIPA Registration
- Adjudicator NSW, SA and Australian Capital Territory
- Professional Certificate in Arbitration
Phone (07) 3160 0000